KWAT has been delivering Internship Programs in Chiang Mai , Thailand to young women brought from inside Kachin State since 2002. Every year new interns receive training in a wide range of subjects including Human Rights, Women and Politics, Gender Issues, Leadership, the Environment and working with the Media. They also learn new skills eg office management, computer skills and English so that they may work more effectively in their organisations in Kachin State . Similar trainings are delivered to women in their local communities inside Kachin State .
The capacity of the KWAT staff is also developed through attendance at various trainings and personal development opportunities in Chiang Mai eg Strategic Planning, Office Management and Conflict Resolution.
- To educate Kachin youth about political issues such as Democracy and Government systems, Constitution and rule of law, political history and the current situation of Burma
- To offer training on social issues such as Human Rights, Gender awareness, and Women’s issues, to create a wider awareness of these topics
- To provide students with knowledge and skills on leadership, and community organizing so that they can continue to be leaders in their communities.
- To develop the capacity of the students by providing English and IT skills, office skills, project and management skills so that they can demonstrate good performance in their practical workplace
- To train the students to be more empowered and confident so that they are able to work with local, national and international organizations to promote democracy and human rights, and social justice in Burma